Monday 12 July 2021

At the start of the year, Crystal Dynamics announced that they were collaborating with a group of eleven artists to bring a reimagined twist to the Tomb Raider game covers we all love and grew up with. For July, they're shaking things up a little bit!

With Angel of Darkness, the studio approached a currently unknown artist whose style they believe perfectly compliments the game. As the commission couldn't be completed for the month and, to allow them to have extra time, they reached out to four artists in the community to help them celebrate the game.

The four artists will be spotlighted over each Monday in July. The first community artist up is Caleb Groves, an artist that uses layered paper to create their artwork. Their take on Lara's darkest look is unique, not only in being the first traditional piece in the project, but also for its incredible stylized look.  

Speaking on the Official Tomb Raider 25 page, they introduced themselves and talked about the inspiration behind their work. "Hi! I'm Caleb, a graphic designer and illustrator located in the midwest. Tacos, chocolate, and memes fuel my creativity. My illustrations feature pop culture icons that I grew up with and my love for video games.

"It was a dream come true when I was asked to reimagine the box artwork for Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. Core Design left behind a legacy with their final installment in the franchise and now I feel like being part of that legacy. There is so much love for the game from the fans, and I filled the design with my own love and appreciation as the game is one of my absolute favorites. I drew inspiration from the overall dark and sinister tone from the game as well as the Gothic architecture and the Obscura paintings that were featured. Lara can be considered a "savior" in the game for protecting the world from otherworldly abominations, so I compared her to the Holy figures featured in many Gothic paintings. Halos were used to give the figures their heavenly status, so incorporating the moon gives our heroine her divinity. Cut paper works perfectly as I love to use simple shapes that are reminiscent of the Playstation and Playstation 2 gaming eras as well as 90's animation. This piece was a labor of love that I wanted to give the fans of The Angel of Darkness."

You can download the artwork on the Tomb Raider 25 website, HERE

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment