Wednesday 13 May 2020

For many fans who grew up with the classic titles, there are those moments that are embedded in our memories, such as stepping into the Atlantean stronghold or evading the Damned in Aldwych Station. Personally, for me, the first level of "Tomb Raider III" will always be ingrained in my memory after repeatedly retreading those levels as a kid. Those moments are larger than life in our memories. Which is why discovering Crofty's incredible photoshoots, inspired by those classic games, was such a treat. It brought the games to life in such a unique way and really captured the feel of the levels she was inspired to recreate.

Crofty is not alone, with her is an impressive team to help get that look just right; Pablo (Creative Director and Producer) and Marino (Photographer and VFX Artist). 

The photoshoots are mindblowing, creating a look which feels like she has just stepped out of the games. From Crofty's natural instinct for the character to Pablo's ideas, and Marino's creativeness, they work hard to bring photos that capture that certain atmosphere we all know.

While her growing collection of Tomb Raider merchandise celebrates the full twenty-five-year history of the franchise, she has a particular love for those early adventures, having grown up with the series from a young age. Earlier this year, that passion led her to create her own space on the internet to share her photoshoots with fellow fans. 

Location: Anaga, Tenerife

We recently had the pleasure of talking to Crofty about her adventures in front of the camera, and how Tomb Raider has influenced her life. 

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I am from Spain, I'm 30 years old, now I am in Tenerife (Canary Islands) but when I'm not doing my cosplay, I work as a deckhand. I really love that job because is kind of adventurous, extremely active and you can travel. Normally I work on Summer, and the other half of the year I focus on other projects, mostly Lara Croft world.


How and when did you become a Tomb Raider fan?

I was ten, and I saw an ad on TV. I saw that strong, sexy and badass girl, exploring tombs; she got my total attention! I definitely wanted to play that game...I think it was the release of Tomb Raider III. I told my mom if we can go to the video club to get that game. I was walking around the shelves when I saw the cover of Tomb Raider I and I said to my mom "it's that girl!"...and here you have me now. Jajajaj! 20 years later, still totally obsessed with Lara Croft. I think my life wouldn't be the same if Lara wouldn't exist; she shaped me as I am today.


What made you want to step into Lara's boots and start cosplaying? 

Every time I had the chance to get dress as her I did, but it wasn't something important, just to have fun. Deep in my mind, I wanted to have a personal website dedicated only to Lara Croft but I didn't have much time, nor locations, or a photographer. Now my situation has changed, lucky me. I have found a great and professional team and I decided to do what I always wanted, my tribute to Lara Croft. I knew it would take time and a bit of money to do it, but I was looking for something special, something different. Not only posing as Lara Croft but to tell her story through my pics.

Location: Barranco de Badajoz, Tenerife

What has been your favourite Lara Croft outfit to wear and why? 

I love the Nevada, Sola wetsuit and London outfits. I am working in the last one right now. Why I love them? Hmm...Nevada is sexy and the military touch is just perfect. I enjoyed so much playing the Maria Doria levels and seeing Lara with that outfit, the same with London. I can't really tell you a reason, maybe it's because of my memories? I just love them! Jajaja.


All of your outfits and props are incredibly detailed! Do you create them yourself or do you collaborate with someone else? 

I make the props, items and gunbelts but with the clothes, I look on the internet for something very similar and then I adjust it and change it to be as accurate as it can. I don't sew, only little things by hand, because when it's a big job, I have a friend who is a dressmaker so I give my clothes to her.

[When] making the props I use differents materials...such as modelling paste, wood, metal, plastic, cardboard....for some items I use cheap materials...coz most of the time they are a little thing in my pics. If they have an important role, I use better materials. It depends a little... but for the artifacts I use the material I think that would look more realistic. For example, the Scion is made in metal, the Philosopher's Stone is a real gemstone, the Talion is made in wood etc..

Location: Playa De La Montaña Pelada, Tenerife

For your cosplays, you also have a team working behind the scenes; Pablo (Creative Director and Producer) and Marino (Photographer and VFX Artist), how did they get involved with the project and what is it like working as a team?
 
I aways say Crofty wouldn't exist without them! I put the face, but those two do a lot more that people can see. I've spent hours with Pablo creating new ideas, how to make the pics tell something, from what angle. etc. And I have been talking with Marino about what he can do in Photoshop and whatnot, if we have to use a studio set or exterior location. Not to mention how many hours he spends in front of the computer to get the final result. I am very lucky of how patient they are...my photo sessions are very compact! We have been even 5 hours straight at the studio or spending the whole day outside; some locations in the morning and them the rest in the afternoon. We three work well because we all are perfectionist so we understand each other.

Has there ever been a shoot which was especially challenging, and if so why? 

For now, I would say Rome, from Tomb Raider 5 (Chronicles). We were taking those pics in the middle of La Laguna (a town in Tenerife). I was frozen in that dress and the cars were driving past almost every two minutes! Those pics need more time because of the light, so the shot is slower. We had to wait for the street to be empty to take the shots. Then with the Scooter, that was difficult too, because we had to incline it in the middle of street (that pic is not published yet). In fact, when we were with that shot, the police came to us and we had to stop, lucky for us the shot was already taken! 

Location: La Laguna, Tenerife

The backgrounds for your photoshoots have been spot on and instantly recognizable as levels of the Classic games. For the photoshoots you had on-location, how were those locations selected and how did it feel shooting outdoors compared to a studio setting? 

Around one year ago I was planning the exterior shots. I looked on the internet for locations all around Spain. One of the best things that Tenerife has is different environments. On one island you can find beaches, mountains, jungle. It's awesome!. I have more locations on other islands and in the Iberian Peninsula too, but they have to wait for the next season.

The exterior shots are always more challenging because sometimes we have to do some trekking before we arrive to the right place, we have to plan the whole day. However, the studio shots are more direct but more demanding.


Do you have any upcoming cosplaying or Tomb Raider related adventures lined up? 

Yes, of course, I have plenty of ideas, a huge list. What you see on my website is just the beginning! Jajajaja. But I need to go bit by bit. My next project is Tomb Raider IV.



A huge thank you to Crofty for sitting down with us and talking about her work! You can follow her adventures on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And make sure to check out her website at Crofty.com, it's packed full of amazing content and new photos. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment